There is a great giveaway at The Untrained Housewife.....if you haven't registered, do so quickly, it's about to close!
If you haven't checked out her site....go there and register for the giveaway and browse around!
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
A friend of mine sent an email with a few household tips....I thought they were pretty interesting and decided to pass them along. If you know who originally thought of these, let me know in the comments.
- When you buy bananas, take them apart from each other. They will ripen more slowly.
- Bell Peppers with 3 bumps on the bottom are sweeter and better for fresh eating while peppers with 4 bumps are better for cooking because they are firmer.
- Make scrambled eggs rich and fluffy by adding a couple of spoonfuls of sour cream, cream cheese or heavy cream before beating them.
- For light garlic flavor, add at the beginning of your recipe. For stronger flavor, add near the end .
- Reheat pizza in a cast iron skillet on top of the stove....it keeps the crust crisp!
- Easy "Angel" Eggs - put the cooked egg yolks in a ziplock bag, mash them up, add remaining ingredients and mix well. Then snip off the corner with scissors and squeeze the mixture out...much cleaner!
- Use newspaper for "mulch" in your garden, you can usually get it free and it works better than some of the "gardening plastic" not to mention it's bio-degradable so makes your garden greener!
- Pick up tiny broken glass shards with a wet cotton-ball. It gets caught in the fibers.
- Clean the lint filter on your dryer every month using a brush and warm soap and water. Not only will it make your dryer run more efficiently but you'll cut down on fire hazards and extend the life of your dryer.
- When measuring "liquid" items for baking....measure oily items first, it helps the other things like honey come out easier.