Pretty huh? Well...in short, I think it's a better plan than the old pyramid and here are the five reasons I like the new MyPlate guidelines:
- I think it's a more balanced look at what we should be eating. More fruits and veggies than the higher carbohydrates found in the former "grains" section of the old pyramid.
- I think the picture itself will help see what our plates should look like. Perhaps that's because I'm a very visual person. :)
- It's a lot easier to remember! This will help a great deal in not only planning meals but making sure they are portioned correctly.
- Fats and sweets are not represented ON the place setting. This automatically tells us that we should not consider them our main sources of food or calories and to use them sparingly. We all know we use those items in our cooking and serving.
- Because of the ease of design and use...I think more people will be able to follow it. That's always a good thing.
So...what do you think about the new guidelines? Do you think you can follow them and still keep your grocery budget in check? I'll have more about that tomorrow!